Saturday, July 17, 2010

Tactility

The simplest way to say this is: Catholicism has blown open my spiritual life.

I tend to rationalize through my temptations; reconciling my mind to the sin. Imagine the weak mind and flesh reaching for some forbidden fruit, but then making the Sign of the Cross. It's a powerful, physical, paralyzing symbol. When I make it over myself I remember to whom I've entrusted body, and it saves me.

When I enter into the church to pray, I often come feeling foolish and ashamed for my selfish failings. Imagine entering, bent with the weight of self, but then seeing the font filled with Baptismal water. Immersing my hand and raising it dripping, I remember who washes me, and how He leads me to pass from old to new.

I hold a rosary and finger the beads; I walk between the 14 images of the stations of the cross; I touch a relic of the bone of a saint; I smell the chrism; I light the candle; I stand and bow and sit and kneel; I fast before every Mass to eat the Eucharistic meal.

Catholicism has captivated me with its corporeal symbols - its sacraments.

A sacrament is a visible sign of God's grace. The Blessed Sacrament is the ultimate sign of God's grace - Christ's tactile, physical body sacrificed for us. This is our Salvation! The Catholic Church constantly presents this Salvation over and over again through its sacraments.

It amazes me how such a huge, complicated thing like the Church can one single point to which everything leads. It's Jesus Christ, the man, the world's Salvation. And He is so real and tangible that we can feed on His saving flesh.

3 comments:

dominik said...

Your posts are consistently amazing.

That is all :p

DU said...

infinitely knowable!

Bernadette said...

Hello!

I want to give you an award for your beautiful blog that has inspired me and continues to inspire me. Thank you!

Link to the blog award image: http://blog.saintmariasmessenger.com/blogimages/lovely blog Award 1.jpg

There are a few rules, though, in order to accept the award:

1. Accept the award. Post it on your blog with the name of the person who has granted the award and his or her blog link.

2. Send it to 15 other bloggers that you have newly discovered.

3. Contact those blog owners and let them know they've been chosen.


Congratulations and God bless you!


Bernadette Fox

My blog: http://blog.saintmariasmessenger.com